Skip to main content

Which campus are the classes at?

Programs at Universitas Udayana: The classes are held at Campus Surdiman in Denpasar.

Programs at STDBali: The classes are held at the Creative Campus in Denpasar.

Programs Politeknik International Bali: The classes are held at the the PIB Campus in Tabanan.

Yoga Teacher Training: The classes are held at the Yoga Studio of Pranava Yoga in Canggu

How many credit points can I receive?

Depending on the program:

Southeast Asian Architecture (15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP
Tropical Interior & Green Architecture
(15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP
Sports & Physiotherapy
(15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP
Civil Engineering 
(15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP
Mechanical & Electrical Engineering (15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP

Tourism Destination Management (15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP
Exotic culinary Arts (15-weeks/1 semester): up to 30 CP

Tropical Architecture (4 weeks/Summer School): 12 ECTS
Travel Photography & Videography (4 weeks/Summer School): 10 ECTS
Fashion Design 
(4 weeks/Summer School): 12 ECTS

General rules on campus

  1. Students have to be in class 5 minutes before class starts.
  2. No food is allowed in the classroom. Drinks are allowed, but have to be placed under the table at all times.
  3. Smoking is only allowed outside the building in the open air.
  4. Physical attendance has to be at least 75% for all classes and subjects.
  5. In case of illness the student has to inform the secretariat (for more than 2 days of sickness, a doctor certificate must be submitted).
  6. During the lecture it is forbidden to disturb the class for any reason (e.g. no DVD watching, no chatting – please show respect to Indonesian lecturers).
  7. Leaving the classroom during the lecture is only allowed with the lecturer’s consent.
  8. No presents (gifts or cash) may be given to the administration staff of any kind. Those students who try to obtain an advantage or to influence a member of Udayana University through bribery will be exmatriculated immediately without warning.

Is there a dress code

Dress code is described as follows:

 The students have to wear appropriate clothes at all times on campus. No sandals, no t-shirts, no short pants are allowed. Female students are not allowed to wear mini-skirts, no navel-free, no spaghetti tops.

This dress code is not so much about prescribing clothing, as it is about showing respect to the local students. Clothing should be appropriate for the university (formal). Make sure that your shoulders are covered, no shorts and skirts, no flip-flops.

Can I get the courses credited at my home university?

Each module’s credits are transferable to the European Credits Transfer System (ECTS) and other Credit Systems.

If you want to have the subjects credited at your home university, we suggest having the course pre-approved by the home institution’s exchange coordinator, academic advisor, or a professor. Whoever is in charge of credit transfer should sign a “Learning Agreement” in order to provide a transparent and efficient preparation of the study period abroad and to ensure that the student will receive recognition for the educational components successfully completed abroad.

What should I bring for the university?

A laptop (for architects using CAD software), pens, and a pad to write should be enough initially. Sketch pads etc. can be purchased later in the stationery shops in Bali if needed.

Where can I stay in Bali as a student?

The campuses for our programs are in the heart of Denpasar or Tabanan region. The neighborhoods of Seminyak, Kerobokan, Legian, and Canggu are recommended, because they are close to the university and because these are safe beachfront areas with many great shops, restaurants, cafes and clubs.

Private house/villa

Often students live together, renting a house or a villa. The cost of lodging will of course vary depending on the accommodations, from approximately 150-500 €/room, with naturally no upper limit. Large villas with many bedrooms are best suited for the new communal living arrangements on the island. There are always houses and villas available, even just before the start of studies. Cleaning and security service is usually included in the rent. Power must often be paid separately. You should definitely ask about this on site.

Usually participants form groups and rent a house or a villa (house with pool) together. We have a Facebook group for each semester or program, where the students can meet the other participants. For those who would like to book an accommodation beforehand, we recommend the websites of Auslandssemester Bali and Rentroom Bali, offering accommodation with student prizes.

How do I get from the airport to my accommodation?

We offer a free airport pickup service. Participants will receive an application form for this service after the registration deadline. If you do not want to be picked up, we recommend a metered taxi.


Each participant needs a visa “Sosial Budaya”. It is a social visa, which is valid for 60 days and can be renewed four times for 30 days each time. In order to receive this visa, students have to submit a list of documents, including a “Certificate of Acceptance/Enrollment” and a “Sponsorship Letter” from the institution in Bali. You will receive this letter from us after the full payment of the tuition fee has been received.

Where can I apply for a visa?

You need to apply for the Social Visa at an Indonesian embassy in your home country or another country outside of Indonesia before travelling to Bali. It is not possible to apply for the visa in Bali.

How does extending my visa work?

All universities have visa agents who can assist with the visa extension. This service is not included in the tuition fees.

What if I want to leave Indonesia occasionally?

Once you leave the country, your visa is forfeited. If you want to re-enter Indonesia, you need to apply for a new “Sosial Budaya” visa at the Indonesian Embassy of your destination country. This may take some time. So make sure to apply for the required documents at the respective secratary right in time.

What travel insurance do I need?

Each student must have obtained an international health insurance. In this case it is important that there is an insurance policy that covers the entire stay period, i.e. not just travel insurance. If no insurance has been obtained, huge costs for injuries, accidents or illnesses may arise. In Indonesia, hospital bills have to be paid immediately in cash or by credit card. If you cannot pay, you will not be treated under certain circumstances, no matter how severe the injury may be.

What happens in the event of an illness?

In the case of minor ailments (ex: gastrointestinal problems, superficial wound care), we recommend a doctor who makes house calls. Dr. Ari almost always accepts a lump sum of 850,000 Rp for treatment. The receipts can be submitted to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Website Dr. Ari

For more serious illnesses or after accidents:

Kasih Ibu, Denpasar 
BIMC, Kuta 
Sanglah, Denpasar

What is the best way to get around on the island?

The traffic on Bali’s roads is … impressive. Therefore the most effective means of transport is the scooter. Time, patience, and serenity are important at peak times in this respect.

They drive on the left side of the road, but one gets used to that relatively quickly. The scooter is the fastest and easiest way to get around. But please be careful! It can be very dangerous, especially if you have no experience with scooter driving. So take it slowly.

An international driver’s license is mandatory outside of the EU. You can apply for one in your home country. Please note that most european car driver’s licenses only allow you to drive a scooter that is of maximum 50cm³. If you don’t have a motorcycle driver’s license and decide to rent a scooter, please specifically ask for a scooter that fits your legal limitation.

Will my phone work in Bali?

With an Indonesian Sim card you can usually use your mobile device in Indonesia. The Sim card will be charged with credits (pulsa). The Pulsa packages can contain Internet access, international phone calls, and SMS, depending on your plan and your mobile device features.

Are there any special safety instructions?

Basically you should always safeguard your valuables in Bali. You should keep your passport in a safe and keep an eye on your pockets. Never go around with too much cash, and always lock your residence and room doors. You should also be aware of your pockets while on the scooter. You should not be travelling alone on the scooter or on foot after midnight, as there have been muggings recently. Only drive the scooter with a helmet on.

You haven’t found your answer here?

Send us a message.

    Your Name*

    Your Email*

    Your Message*